Call a Draft Beer Expert Today - (800) 710-9939
Keg Tapping Procedures
What coupler do I need for the brand of beer I have?
We offer a compatibility guide that can match your brand of beer to the correct keg coupler.
Q: How do I tap a keg?
You tap a keg by using a keg coupler. You will need to purchase the correct coupler to match the brand of beer keg you have. You can refer to our compatibility guide to find which coupler is right for you.
- Do not agitate the keg. If there has been excessive agitation during transportation, allow the keg to settle for 1 to 2 hours before tapping.
- Make sure the beer faucet is in the off position prior to tapping.
- Remove the dust cover from the beer keg.
- Make sure that the keg coulpler handle is in the up (off) position.
- Align lug locks on tavern head with lug housing in top of keg; insert tavern head.
- Turn tavern head handle 1/4 turn clockwise; the tavern head is now secured to keg.
- Rotate on/off valve hand 1/4 turn clockwise to open beer and CO2 ports in keg. The keg is now tapped.
Tapping the keg properly will activate both the beer and the CO2 pressure line. The keg will be ready to draw beer.
Q. How do I tap a keg with a twin probe coupler?
- Insert Probes
- Screw Tavern Knob Hand Tight
- Turn on Pressure and Draw Beer