The early pilgrims planted apple trees and had to wait many miserable, long years to start the American tradition of brewing Hard Cider. Now you can do it without watching the trees grow! This Hard Apple Cider Kit Plus has all the ingredients and equipment required to brew two gallons of an amazing and delicious beverage that you'll be proud to share with your friends.
Included in this plus kit is our most popular Hard Apple Cider Recipe, Forbidden Fruit (no snake required) and it tastes just as sinfully luscious as it sounds. It's a crisp, dry and refreshing hard apple cider with an ABV of around 4.5%.
The equipment package features our revolutionary new clear, conical fermenter, as well as everything else you'll need including the bottles. These are attractive, logoed PET bottles, showing the world that you've turned pro!
The Hard Cider Kit Plus is a gift that keeps on giving!
- (1) Clear Conical Fermenter
- (1) Fermenter Base
- (1) Adjustable Flow Tap Assembly
- (1) Venting Plug
- (1) Stick-on Temperature Gauge
- (1) Our Most Popular Hard Apple Cider Recipe (Forbidden Fruit Hard Cider)
- (1) Packet of Dry Brewing Yeast
- (1) Packet of One Step No-Rinse Cleanser
- (8) Plastic Amber 1 Liter Bottles & Reusable Caps
- (8) Custom Bottle Labels
- (1) Easy to Follow Brewing Instruction
Sanitize everything that comes in contact with your cider.
1. Sanitize Your Equipment
This is perhaps the most important step in the brewing process. It kills any bacteria, wild yeast and mold that can cause off-flavors. It's important to sanitize everything that comes in contact with your cider. This step should take about 15 minutes.
- In a container, dissolve half (1 tbsp) of the One Step No-Rinse Cleanser into a gallon of warm water. Shake until the cleanser has completely dissolved. Save the other half of the cleanser for bottling.
- Pour solution into the fermenter, screw on the lid and place your venting plug into its hole. Cover venting plug and swirl the solution around making sure it contacts the entire inside surface including the lid.
- Open and close the tap several times to sanitize the inner surface.
- Place your mixing spoon(s), measuring cup and can opener* inside the fermenter. Careful not to scratch the inside surface. Allow it to soak a minimum of 10 minutes.
- Drain fermenter. Remove your utensils and place them on a clean paper towel. No rinsing is required. You can alternatively sanitize a plate or bowl to use as a utensil rest.
*If needed. Can opener must be sanitized before using.
2. Making Your Hard Cider
Our cider mix contain 100% pure apple juice and is ready for fermentation. Just add water and the included yeast. Since hard cider is mostly water, the better the water the better your cider. This step should take about 30 minutes.
- Fill your fermenter with a gallon of cold water. For best results, use bottled spring water or charcoal-filtered tap water.
- Remove yeast packet from under the lid of cider mix (if necessary).
- Place 4 cups of water into a clean 3-quart pot and bring to a boil.
- Remove from heat. Then slowly stir in the hard cider mix and 1 1/2 cups of granulated sugar until it fully dissolves. This mixture is called the must.
- Pour this must into the fermenter. Bring the volume of the fermenter up to the 8.5-quart mark by adding more water. Mix thoroughly. Read the thermometer and wait until the temperature of the wort is between 64°- 86° F before adding the yeast.
- Add the yeast. Then attach your lid. (If using an airlock attach it now).
- Place the fermenter out of direct sunlight and maintain a temperature between 64°- 86° F for approximately 7 days.
And Now You Wait
After 7 days the beer in your fermenter should have stopped fermenting and begun to clear. It's now time to bottle! If you're not sure, draw a small amount from the tap; if it tastes dry and tart like still cider, it's ready to bottle. If it tastes sweet, give it a few more days.
3. Bottling/Carbonating Your Hard Cider
Some people prefer still cider (uncarbonated), for this you will need to skip step 4 and step 7. For everyone else, we need to add carbonation. It's normal for this natural carbonating process to create a small amount of yeast sediment at the bottom of each bottle. This step should take about 45 minutes.
- Dissolve the remaining One Step into a gallon of warm water.
- Fill each bottle half full with solution, place caps on (just a few turns) and shake a few times. Allow them to sit for a minimum of 10 minutes.
- Remove caps and empty bottles. No rinsing is required. Skip step 4 to make uncarbonated "still cider."
- Add 2-1/2 teaspoons of white granulated sugar to each bottle. If you're using bottles other than what came with the kit, see the priming sugar chart above for the correct sugar amount.
- Using the tap, fill each bottle halfway up the base of the neck. Make sure all bottles contain approximately the same amount of hard cider. Remove venting plug or airlock (if used) for this step.
- Cap each bottle and invert them several times until the sugar has been completely dissolved. Do not shake bottles. For still cider skip step 7 and go directly to "Enjoying Your Hard Cider."
- Place the bottles upright, out of direct sunlight and maintain a temperature between 64°- 88° F for approximately 5-7 days.
EVERY COUPLE OF DAYS GIVE EACH BOTTLE A SQUEEZE. WHEN THEY BECOME FIRM TO THE TOUCH (LIKE A NEW 2-LITER BOTTLE OF SODA) AND THE BEER HAS CLEARED, THEY'RE READY FOR THE FRIDGE.
4. Enjoying Your Hard Cider!
After your hard cider has carbonated or you decided to make a still cider, good news, it's ready to drink! However, you can improve the flavor by bottle conditioning your cider. This can be done a couple ways:
- Warm conditioning: Keep your bottles in a dark, dry location away from sunlight and maintain a temperature between 50°- 70° F for several weeks to a month.
- Cold conditioning: Place your bottles in the refrigerator for several weeks to a month.
WHETHER OR NOT YOU CHOOSE TO BOTTLE CONDITION YOUR CIDER, IT WILL ALWAYS TASTE BETTER AFTER CHILLING IN THE REFRIGERATOR FOR AT LEAST 24 HOURS. THEN IT'S TIME TO CALL YOUR FRIENDS!
2 Gallon Hard Cider Kit Plus Reviews
|Average Customer Rating:|
|(based on 0 reviews)|| |
All charges are based on a quantity of 1.
Click "Add to Cart" above to change quantities
and make actual ship method selection.