- Using a yeast starter and oxygenating wort is one of the most important factors in dramatically affecting the quality of your homebrew
- A yeast starter is a suspension of yeast, sugars, nutrients, and water for the purpose of growing yeast to an optimal cell health and count for pitching into your wort
- Starters are important as under-pitching can result in under attenuation or cause the yeast to double (grow) more which makes for more vigorous fermentations that stresses the yeast population
- Pitching at optimal rates will result in a healthy fermentation and expected beer flavors
- Our 2-3L yeast starter kits are designed to give you the tools needed to create healthy happy yeast populations to pitch into your wort
Our yeast starter kits are designed to give you the tools needed to create healthy happy yeast populations to pitch into your wort. Using a yeast starter and oxygenating wort can dramatically affect the quality of your homebrew. The homebrewers here at the Beverage Factory think it is one of the most important factors in creating great homebrew.
What is a yeast starter and why is it important?
A yeast starter is a suspension of yeast, sugars, nutrients, and water for the purpose of growing healthy yeast to an optimal cell count for pitching into your wort. Starters are important as under-pitching will cause the yeast to double (grow) more which makes for more vigorous fermentations that stresses the yeast population and creates higher levels of off flavor compounds. Under-pitching can also result in under attenuation.
Pitching at optimal rates will result in a healthy fermentation and expected beer flavors. A calculator to assist with determining starter details can be found at http://www.mrmalty.com/calc/calc.html
1L YEAST STARTER KIT COMPONENTS:
- Yeast Starter Stir Plate
The StirStarter stir plate helps culture higher cell counts of healthy yeast for quicker fermentation, lower risk of infections and better tasting beer - all in less time than it takes to make a conventional yeast starter. Simply put the magnetic stir bar into the flask, and place it on the plate - the spinning magnets in the plate cause the stir bar to rotate, agitating the yeast starter.
- Erlenmeyer Flask - 5000 ml
The 5000 ml Erlenmeyer Flask is the ideal vessel to make a large yeast starter for 10+ gallon lagers and high gravity brews. The best brewers make large yeast starters to get their beer fermenting fast. Large populations of active yeast help ensure flavorful beer free of off flavors. Because it is made from borosilicate glass you can move it from a boil on your gas stove into a cold water bath for cooling, without the risk of cracking.
- Oxygen Regulator Kit
The Oxygen Regulator Kit is everything you need to aerate wort. It's quick, easy, and limits the risk of contamination. The brass covered oxygen regulator fits most commonly available oxygen tanks, and the 1/2 micron Diffusion Stone is ideal for quick, efficient aeration.
- Yeast Nutrient - 1 oz.
Yeast Nutrient is used to increase the health of yeast by improving the fermentation and re-pitching performance. Yeats nutrient contains diammonium phosphate, essential vitamins and co-factors, nitrogen (amino acids, proteins, and peptides) and minerals. Nutrient can be an effective boost for first and/or late generation yeast slurry.
- Briess Pilsen Light Dry Malt Extract - 1 lb Bag
This Pilsen Light DME is ideal for all styles of extract beer, and to adjust the color, flavor, and gravity of all grain beers. The dry malt extract ingredients are from only the purest malt extracts from Briess's own malt so you are assured of receiving only the fullest flavored, freshest, pure malt extracts for top brewhouse performance.
- California Ale Yeast (Optional)
California Ale Yeast is a liquid yeast that is famous for its clean flavors, balance, and ability to be used in almost any style ale. It accentuates hop flavors and is extremely versatile. This yeast includes the Gel Ice Pack and Foam Cooler to ensure the yeast survives transportation.
No customer reviews available.
Be the first to ask a question.