October 06, 2021
The weather may be getting cooler but that doesn't mean you can't enjoy your cold brew! Cold brew coffee not only has a great smooth taste but it delivers more caffeine and benefits. Learn more about the benefits of cold brew coffee in our article here. As the weather cools down, you can still cozy up to a cup of cold brew, this time, it will be filled with warming flavors to get you through the cold fall and winter days. Get inspired to add a little twist to your cold brew this autumn and winter with these tasty recipes.
Cold Brew vs. Hot Coffee
If you're not familiar with the difference between cold brew and hot coffee, it all comes down to the brewing method. Hot coffee, which is often used for iced coffee, is brewed using hot water. Cold brew coffee uses a much slower brewing method, in which the coffee grounds are steeped for hours in cold water until the flavor and caffeine are extracted. You can learn more about the differences in our detailed article here. You can also delve deeper into how cold brew coffee is made and how it is different here.
This difference in brewing method not only yields a different tasting coffee but an overall difference in benefits and properties. Cold brew coffee may not have the physically warming sensation of hot coffee but it does often deliver a richer flavor, more caffeine, and less acidity than hot coffee. Like hot coffee, cold brew coffee can be customized in a wide variety of ways to suit your tastes and can even be made with a festive flair for the fall and winter seasons.
How Should Cold Brew Be Served
Cold brew can be found in a wide variety of formats but undoubtedly, the best way to enjoy cold brew is fresh from the tap. Cold brew, like all forms of coffee, will oxidize and the flavors will break down over time. When cold brew is stored and dispensed from a keg, it is preserved at the peak of its freshness and continues to stay fresh for a long time. Plus, when dispensed through a keg, you will get this creamy and luscious mouthfeel.
If you enjoy a daily cup of coffee, a cold brew dispenser will also save you a lot of money and time. You can either brew a large batch of cold brew coffee and store it in a keg yourself or purchase a keg direct from a cold brew coffee company. Our favorite compact cold brew dispenser is this Kegco Illy Illy-Bag-In-A-Box Cold Brew Coffee Single Tap Black Mini Kegerator. This countertop kegerator sits easily on your counter and dispenses delicious and gourmet cold brew coffee from this box keg.
Cold brew coffee is incredibly versatile and can be served just straight or poured over ice. The benefit of cold brew being dispensed from a keg is that it is stored at the ideal serving temperature already. Since cold brew often lacks the bitterness and acidity that hot coffee has, you can easily drink in black but you can also serve it with a wide variety of customizations.
Cozy Cold Brews
Change up your cold brew routine for the cooler weather with seasonal ingredients, warm spices, and bold flavors. Get that fall feeling with complex flavors but easy to make drinks! These drink inspirations will keep the cold brew flowing from your dispenser every morning. It's time to cozy up to these delicious cold brews!
Creamy Pumpkin Cold Brew
- 1/4 cup whole milk
- 1/4 cup heavy cream
- 2 tablespoons brown sugar
- 1 tablespoon pumpkin puree
- 1/4 teaspoon pumpkin pie spice
- 1 cup cold brew
- 1. Combine the milk, cream, brown sugar, pumpkin puree, and pumpkin spice in a milk frother and froth for 30 seconds, or until your desired thickness. Alternatively, you can also whisk together the ingredients rapidly to develop the sweet cream.
- 2. To serve, fill a glass with ice, add the cold brew, and top with the pumpkin sweet cream. Enjoy immediately. Optionally, sprinkle a little cinnamon on top.
Peppermint Mocha Cold Brew
- 1/2 ounce dark chocolate chopped
- 3 ounces cold brew coffee
- 4 ounces whole chocolate milk
- 1/2 ounce peppermint syrup
- 1. Melt dark chocolate and drizzle in your glass and add ice.
- 2. Combine cold brew, chocolate milk, and peppermint syrup. Pour over ice.
- 3. Garnish with whipped cream, grated chocolate, and a candy cane.
Salted Caramel Pumpkin Cold Brew Coffee
- 1/4 cup granulated sugar
- 1/2 cup water, divided
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 tablespoon pumpkin puree
- 1/2 teaspoon pumpkin pie spice
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/4 cup half and half cream
- 1/2 cup 2% milk
- 8 oz cold brew coffee
- Ice for serving
- 1. Combine sugar and 1/4 cup water in a medium saucepan over medium heat. Bring to a boil over medium heat, stirring occasionally until sugar is dissolved. Continue boiling syrup over medium heat without stirring for 15-20 minutes until syrup is a deep amber color.
- 2. Warm the remaining 1/4 cup water in the microwave. When the syrup reaches an amber color, remove from heat and carefully whisk in warm water, being careful to avoid splattering.
- 3. Whisk caramel until smooth, returning to heat for a minute or two if it starts to harden. Stir in salt and let the caramel cool for several minutes.
- 4. In a large bowl, combine pumpkin, pumpkin pie spice, vanilla, half and half, milk, and cooled caramel syrup. Using an electric mixer, beat the mixture on high speed until slightly thickened and frothy.
- 5. Divide cold brew and ice between two glasses. Spoon caramel pumpkin milk mixture over top and serve immediately. Enjoy!
Eggnog Cold Brew
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 3 ounces cold brew coffee
- 4 ounces eggnog mix
- 1. Combine cold brew, eggnog, and vanilla extract. Pour over ice.
- 2. Garnish with whipped cream, a sprinkle of cinnamon, and a sprinkle of nutmeg.
Gingerbread Cold Brew Latte
- 4 cups milk
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- ¼ tsp cloves
- ¼ tsp nutmeg
- 2 tsp ginger
- ½ cup sugar
- 2 tsp vanilla extract
- ½ cup cold brew coffee
- whipped cream (optional)
- 1. Pour milk into the slow cooker and add in spices, sugar, and vanilla. Stir to combine.
- 2. Cover and cook on low for 3 hours, but keep an eye out if it gets too hot because you don't want the milk to boil.
- 3. After 3 hours turn off the slow cooker. Pour into mugs about halfway and then add cold brew coffee to fill up the mugs. Stir to mix. Garnish with whipped cream and a sprinkle of nutmeg, if desired.
Cold Brew All Year Long
Don't let the weather keep you from enjoying your favorite cold brew coffee! You can certainly enjoy it all year long, especially, if you add some seasonal flavors. To enjoy cold brew coffee year-round and save money, we highly recommend a cold brew dispenser. We know this may be a big investment but our team of experts can help you choose your perfect dispenser within you budget and to suit your needs. Contact our product experts at 800-710-9939.